Thursday, May 10, 2012

Band of Gold

The air needs to be cleared once and for all.  Your issue isn’t with gay marriage.  It’s with gays.  Period.

The sooner you all admit this, the sooner we can all get back to reality.

If you need some elaboration, then I would be more than happy to oblige.

For years the central argument by Christian conservatives against gays getting married has been this notion that marriage is sacred, and that to allow people of the same sex to get married would tarnish or destroy the sacredness of such a thing.  Even now, as of May 2012, this still holds as the main reason for these folks to continue to rally against basic human rights.  And yet, here I am today finally saying to these people, “You are so full of shit.”

Here’s the reality – people fear what they cannot seem to understand; this has been a known fact for centuries.  To this day we still fear the unknown or unexplainable; cancer is a good example.  How is it that someone can smoke their entire life and be so lucky as to avoid the disease, yet someone that watches their health could be stricken with it and taken so quickly from the world?  This thought alone can lead to people examining themselves, over-analyzing minor ailments and in some cases create psychological problems that lead to sickness.  It’s fear that keeps us up at night and distorts rational thought.

So imagine the amount of confusion that homosexuality has caused and continues to cause straight people.  “How could a man love a man?  Why would a man love a man?”  It’s a foreign concept for most; it was for me until I was around the age of 12.  At that point I learned that there is a group of people in this world that prefer to be with members of the same sex.  It was also around this time that I learned to fear them.  Not because they posed any sort of threat to my life or well-being…just because they liked what they liked.  Members of my family (members who meant and still mean a great deal to me) would tell me things like, “It’s unnatural.  They’re disgusting.”  It would be followed by words like “fags” or “queers,” words I’d never heard before.  Trusting in my family, I soon took the stance that whatever the reason, “gay” equaled “bad.”  It didn’t stop there, though; this stance developed into a fear of its own.  “What if I turned out to be gay?  How do you even become gay?  What if I’m gay and don’t even know it?”  These lingering questions weren’t something that just passed, either; they gripped me and suffocated my ability to be who I am for fear of being something that I wasn’t.  If people thought I was gay…why, that would be the absolute worst thing in the world.  Social anxiety is one way to put it – in reality, it was more like my own personal, paranoia-induced hell.

Fear.  It’s powerful shit.  And it’s what drives the people who still carry on about the protection of the institution of marriage.  Even more sickening to me is the dragging of Christ’s name into it.

Anyone that knows who I am today knows that I consider myself agnostic.  I was raised Roman Catholic; I was baptized, confirmed and given an education in the Catholic faith for close to 9 years.  I always accepted communion, but never took the priest up on the wine.  I was an alter boy, too (if you have a joke, then bite your tongue damnit).  To me, the faith was big; its teachings and traditions were followed with reverence and respect.  Like most kids though, it took me a while to actually focus on that one thing that every Catholic and Christian knows: the “golden rule.”  It eventually became a mantra for me; “treat others the way you would like to be treated.”  It made sense.  At least it did, until things started getting…complicated.  First it was the “gay” thing; those folks clearly were not “natural.”  Then it was people who sought divorce.  Then it was women who sought abortions.  Then it was the doctors who performed abortions.  And as these people added up, more began to join the growing group of undesirables in the eyes of the church.  It soon became apparent to me that it didn’t matter who you were or how good of a person you were – if you didn’t play by the church’s rules, you were exempt from the “golden rule.”

Which brings us back to the present.  Due to the ever growing issue of being “politically correct,” we now have Christians and Catholics saying that they agree that gays should be allowed the same rights as everyone else.  They should be treated fairly.  It’s just the whole marriage thing that they take issue with.  And here’s where I call out loud enough so they all can hear, “Bullshit.”  So you all say marriage is a sacred thing?  Here’s the deal – I do too.  It is a sacred seal between two people that found each other in a disturbing, crowded and unpredictable place.  It’s a commitment that people make to stay faithful and true to one another, no matter how much may change or stay the same.

But just how many people still share this sentiment?

We, as a species, treat marriage as something disposable.  When it’s not something encapsulated in 25 episodes a season, it’s something done to raise our social status in the public eye by having it televised and sold to us in the form of commemorative plates.  In other, much more blunt words, it’s a fucking joke.  And since gay people haven’t been able to get married to one another for as long as straight people, would anyone care to guess who’s to blame for it becoming a joke?

What has become much more rare is marriage for the sake of love and loyalty.  My wife and I will be celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary this year; she and I have been together for 9 years this year.  I treat our marriage as the official sign, for all the world to see, that I love her dearly with all my heart and soul.  But here’s the thing – there’s an entire group of people out there who are ready (and have been ready) to do the same thing with their lovers.  They know what it means to be wed; they know that marriage is a sacred thing.  I would think that if anyone would know a thing or two about just how meaningful marriage is, it would be the gay and lesbian community.  So the next time that someone says that they support equal rights for gays but thinks the “sanctity of marriage” needs to be protected, tell them to own up and say what they really mean.  Tell them to say, “I still don’t understand homosexuals.”  The excuse is getting old.  And the sooner that we have people be honest, perhaps the sooner minds can be changed.

No comments: